EvoStik NPL Division One (North)

Tuesday 27 October 2015


Droylsden’s mini-revivial (and three game winning streak) came to an abrupt end at Seel Park, thanks mainly to a defensive horror show by The Bloods.

The usually reliable pairing of Eddy Dryden and Jacob Wood were too often found to be too far apart, with Mitch Bryant in particular benefitting from the space provided.

It all started to go wrong as early as the third minute, when a Mossley free kick was sent forwards to Tom Dean, who had all the time in the world to prod it forwards to Bryant, who rounded Craig Ellison for the opener, with the Droylsden defence appealing for an offside flag that never came.

There was barely ten minutes in the clock and it was 2-0 to the Lilywhites, this time Andy Keogh ghosting in behind the Droylsden defence from a long goalkick to slot past the exposed Ellison.

The game was fairly open, and further chances were likely, so Droylsden had an opportunity to get something from the game, but that all seemed to fade on the half hour when Ellison put through his own goal.  TheDroylsden keeper received a back-pass from Wood, and as he opened up his body to square the ball to Shaquille Clarke-Adams, he horribly miscued for a howler of an own-goal.

The Bloods did show some courage to pull one back before the break when James Hampson put Dominic Smith through, and he recorded his sixth goal in four games as he shot across Liam Flynn to reduce the arrears.

James Hampson headed over for Droylsden after the re-start, but their defences frailties were soon back on show when Bryant was presented with a further three opportunities – one saved, one wide, and one hitting the post!  Hence, it was perhaps little surprise when the hosts added their fourth with that man Bryant bundling home from close range following a flowing move down the right wing.

Smith then volleyed wide, and Domaine Rouse stood on the ball in the six yard box rather than getting a shot in, which kind of summed up Droylsden’s night.

With fifteen minutes remaining, Mossley won a corner, from which Dryden failed to head clear – instead flicking the ball into his own danger area at the near post, presenting a gift to Dean at the far post.

Paky was then delayed for ten minutes due to an injury to referee, Alan Clayton, with the match proceeding with just two officials despite a plea to the crowd for any qualified official to assist.

Hence, there was time for Mike Fish to be denied by Sam Ramsbottom, and for Smith to see his drive skim the top of the bar at the other end.

MOSSLEY:                            Flynn, Henson, Wilshaw, Thomas, Dean, McGonigle, Kay, Robinson (Bennett, 66’), Keogh, Bryant (Carroll, 69’), Pratt (Fish, 46’).  Subs not used – Short, Robinson.

DROYLSDEN:                       Ellison (Ramsbottom, 58’), Antoine-Clarke, Barber, Wood, Dryden, O’Brien, Rouse, Haynes, Zibaka (Hasler-Cregg, 29’), Smith, Hampson J. (Bell, 67’).  Subs. not used – McLoughlin, Hewitt.

Referee:                                 Mr. Alan Clayton (Hyde)

Attendance:                           165

Category: Match Reports