Doodson Sport Cup – First Round, Tuesday 12 November 2013

by Gary Owen

 The Bloods were cruelly dumped out of this season’s competition thanks to a soft penalty awarded just four minutes from time with the two teams locked at 2-2, but despite there being five goals, Droylsden never held the lead. On a positive note, this was the first time this season that The Bloods had scored more than one goal in ay game.

Kick-off was delayed by twenty minutes to allow emergency repairs to one of the floodlight pylons, which unfortunately were unsuccessful. However, the referee, Mr. Dominic McDonald permitted the game to proceed with only three corners lit.

However, it was the visitors who illuminated proceedings when they struck first on 27 minutes as Carlos Rouse-Edmondson collided with Jake Picton in the box. Although the Droylsden midfielder did not intend to foul the Frickley man, the fact remains that he did, and Gavin Allott slotted the resultant penalty beyond the reach of Sam Andrew’s left arm.

Droylsden responded well, and James Horan’s header forced Thomas Woodhead into a save from Jamie Tandy’s pin-point cross. However, just two minutes later, an almost identical repeat performance saw Rouse-Edmondson atone for his earlier misjudgement in the opposite box by stooping to head home another Tandy cross from the left.

Frickley created some good chances to regain their lead after the break, but Alex Mortimer cleared off the line from Allott’s header, and when Luke Hinsley galloped down the left flank to cross to Allott in front of goal, the lead looked to ahave been regained, but Frickley striker somehow side-footed wide of the mark when it seemed far easier to score.

Andy Villerman then joined in from the back for the visitors when he thumped James Gaichem’s corner kick towards the top corner, but it flew just wide of the upright.

It was, therefore, not surprising that Frickley eventually turned their pressure into a goal when Allott forced a good saved from Andrew, only for substitute Joseph Kenny to tap home. Droylsden, however, will point to their own undoing in this regard as Ashley Mihell lost possession in midfield, enabling Athletic to mount their attack.

With 12 minutes remaining, Kenny then turned villain as he upended the ever threatening Domaine Rouse on the edge of the box, with Sam Freakes curling in a beauty of a free kick from 20 yards.

With the game finely balance, and Droylsden clearly up for the fight, extra-time and possibly penalties loomed. However, when Matt German barged into the back of Hinsley, Mr. McDonald was forced to once again award the visitors a spot kick of their own. Many home fans felt the award was somewhat of a soft one, but if that foul had occurred in the centre circle, it would have been given. Allott kept his composure to this time drill his effort down the middle, and give the visitors their winning goal.

Tandy had a half-chance to level matters once more in the dying moments, but instead of shooting first time, he took a touch and shot over.

Nevertheless, on the back of a more encouraging performance at Blyth (despite the defeat),and again tonight, Droylsden have shown great character to respond to the thumping by AFC Fylde, and deserve more for their efforts of late. Hopefully, that first win of the season is just around the corner.


DROYLSDEN – Andrew, Hibbert, Tandy, Hampson (German, 41’), Mortimer, Mihell, Rouse-Edmondson (Knowles, 75’), Freakes, Horan, Brandao (McLoughlin, 67’), Rouse. Subs not used – Ferbalde, Okuson.

 FRICKLEY ATHLETIC:       Woodhead, Wilcox (Stratford, 46’), Gardner, Oniama, Denton, Villerman, Fox, Picton (Kenny, 46’), Hinsley, Allott, Ghaichem (Fearon, 87’). Subs not used – Davies, Rose.

Referee:                                Mr.Dominic McDonald (Merseyside)

Attendance:                          59

Category: Match Reports