EvoStik Northern Premier League – Division One (North)

Saturday 22 November 2014

by Gary Owen


The Bloods showed huge spirit in the second half to get themselves back in to this game, but if it had not been for their poor first half defending, they may have come away from the Brewers’ Field with something to show for their efforts.

Early on, there was little to choose between the sides, with neither keeper tested until Ben Hampson fouled Andrew Stephenson on the right flank after 21 minutes.  From the resultant free kick, Nathan Fisher was allowed to steer home an effort at the near post.

The goal sparked life into the home side, with Russell Saunders saving with his legs from Michael Roberts, and so it was of little surprise when Spennymoor doubled their lead after the half hour.  Fisher ran at the Droylsden defence, who backed off allowing Town’s goal scorer to turn provider for Stephenson.

Kevin Leadbetter won a race for the ball against home keeper Adam McHugh, but his prodded effort past the Town stopper also flew the wrong side of the post, before Ciaran Kilheeney struck the bar from a Droylsden corner, leaving Dave Pace’s men trailing by two goals – but with the benefit of the second half slope to look forward to.

And so it proved, as it was game on just two minutes after the re-start when Ben Deegan was tripped in the box, and Kilheeney scoring from the spot.

However, more poor defending, this time from Hampson on the left, gifted the ball back to Town, who worked it to the onrushing Kallum Griffiths to curl a beautiful effort inside Saunders’ left hand post from just outside the box to restore the hosts’ two goal cushion.

It looked as though Droylsden had reduced the arrears when a spell of pressure saw the ball loop up to Alex Frost at the far post, but he somehow headed into the side netting when it seemed easier to score.

However, Droylsden did pull one back following a neat shot on the turn from Deegan, and once McHugh had blocked from Dale Wright, the hosts hung on to take all three points, leaving The Bloods in third position, but with many around them having games in hand.




Spennymoor Town  McHugh, Griffiths, Mason, Dodds, Tait, Capper, Stephenson (McReady, 77’), Henry, Fisher, Roberts, Peacock (Green, 69’).  Subs not used – Cogdon, Groves, Johnson.


Category: Match Reports